This article will cover the CLAT 2022 exam, CLAT Syllabus, CLAT exam pattern, preparation, and more. Read further to know more details.
The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a centralized national level entrance exam. It is conducted by the Consortium of National Law Universities headed by the National Law School of India University (NLSIU). This exam is essential for any aspirant seeking admission to undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) law courses. 22 NLUs and other colleges/ universities require the test score for admission. Many private law schools in India also use these scores for admissions.
CLAT 2022 Syllabus
- The CLAT Syllabus is different for UG and PG courses.
|Sections||CLAT Syllabus 2022 – UG|
|II||Current Affairs- General Knowledge|
- PG syllabus includes all the UG syllabus subjects and other topics like Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Administrative Law, Law of Contract, Torts, etc.
CLAT 2022 Exam Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must check the CLAT 2022 eligibility before applying.
- UG Courses-
|Educational Qualification||Students must qualify 12th examination.|
|Minimum Qualifying Marks||General/ OBC category candidates must score 45% in the qualifying exam40% marks for SC/ ST category candidates.|
- PG Courses–
|Educational Qualification||Candidates must have qualified LLB or any other qualifying examination.|
|Minimum Percentage||Candidates from the general category must score a minimum of 50%. Candidates from the reserved category have to score 45%.|
- There is no age limit to appear for the exam.
CLAT 2022 Exam Highlights
· According to the latest updates, CLAT will be held twice in 2022.
· In the press release issued by the Consortium of National Law Universities, “The CLAT-2022 will be held on June 19, 2022. The consortium has determined that CLAT- 2023 will be held on December 18, 2022.”
|Exam Date||June 19, 2022|
|Exam Level||UG and PG|
|Frequency||Twice a Year (in 2022)|
|No. of Questions||150 (for UG)120 (for PG)|
|Total Marks||150 (for UG)120 (for PG)|
|Exam Purpose||Admissions to BA, LLB, B.Com LLB, BSc LLB, BBA LLB, BSW LLB, LLM courses|
CLAT 2022 Exam Syllabus
Every candidate needs to be thorough with the exam syllabus to score well. One needs to start with their preparations ahead of time. The exam syllabus works as a map, helping guide a candidate for their CLAT 2022 preparations.
- Section I – English Language :
There will be passages of 450 words each in this section. Each passage will be followed by questions. The candidates need to answer these questions. The passages will be derived from important historical and contemporary fiction and non-fiction writing.
- Section II- Current Affairs:
Candidates will be asked questions from topics like- Static GK, Politics, Sports, famous personalities, prizes & awards, world affairs, etc.
- Section III- Legal Reasoning:
This part of the exam includes a passage relating to current or static or news-related fields of law. Around 3-5 questions per passage will be asked. Some important topics CLAT 2022 syllabus for legal reasoning are- Study of Law, Important Court Decisions, Legal GK and current affairs, International treaties etc.
- Section IV- Logical Reasoning:
This section includes questions related to verbal reasoning. Apart from this, Questions from a series of short passages of 300 words will also be asked. Some important topics include- syllogism, directions, puzzles, cause & effect, clocks & calendars, logical sequencing, etc.
- Section V- Quantitative Techniques:
This section is also sometimes referred as elementary mathematics. Questions from this section will require candidates to apply various mathematical techniques to reach the correct answer. The majority questions asked are based on charts, bars and other graphical representations. The other important topics covered in this section are- algebra, profit & loss, mensuration, speed & distance and other elementary mathematics topics.
Preparation for the CLAT 2022 Exam Syllabus
It is important for any candidate to have a proper and thorough understanding of the CLAT 2022 syllabus. This includes:
- Proper study and planning of the CLAT syllabus.
- Know in detail the syllabus of section-wise topics and focus areas.
- Divide the syllabus preparation time adequately among all the sections and topics, beforehand.
- Build a strong understanding of the topics and concepts.
Tips & Tricks for Section Wise Syllabus Preparations to Ace the CLAT Exam 2022:
- For English Language Section Preparation –
Increased reading skills come handy whilst attempting this section.
- Spend time understanding the correct meaning of sentences.
- Improve vocabulary with help of dictionary, newspapers, podcasts, and word games (like- four letters, black bar, etc.)
- Read books, novels, and blogs to increase reading speed
- For Logical Reasoning Syllabus Preparation –
The Logical Reasoning section forms an important part of the CLAT 2022 exam. Students ought to prepare the section’s syllabus as under:
- Have a clear understanding of the concepts and learn tricks to solve the questions based on patterns, arrangements, and sequencing by regular practice.
- Read the questions twice and understand them before reaching conclusions.
- Improve vocabulary to deal with difficult or jargon laced sentences.
- Speed and Accuracy is the key to successfully attempt the section.
- Check the kind of questions asked in the previous year question papers; looks for and practice similar such questions.
- Practice as many mock test papers.
- For General Knowledge &Current Affairs Syllabus Preparation –
- Subscribe to and read good newspapers like- The Hindu, The Tribune, etc.
- Keep updates with the news channels/platforms like The Quint, The Vice, Brute, South china Morning Post.
- Read and take brief notes.
- Invest in good books for static GK questions.
- For Legal Reasoning Syllabus Preparation –
- Focus specifically on static and current legal issues, landmark judgments, and important cases from the current and previous years.
- Read about all the new amendments and enactments done in both monsoon and winter sessions of the parliament along with recent contemporary issues.
- Having prior knowledge is of great help.
- Work on vocabulary comprising legal jargon, legal terms, foreign phrases, and maxims.
- Lookup for the meaning of an unfamiliar term, and read it repeatedly.
- For Mathematics Syllabus Preparation–
- Practice! As much as possible.
- Identify and repeatedly revise the weak areas.
- Practice multiple mock papers and exercises of the topics constituting this section of the paper.
Solve the Previous Year CLAT Exam Question Papers
To have a proper understanding of the exam pattern and to avoid any last-minute surprises on the D-day, it is advised for the candidates to go through the previous year’s questions papers and material. The candidates will also get a fair idea as to what kind of questions to expect specifically for the logical reasoning and English section part of the exam.