QuickBooks is an innovative accounting software made by Intuit and used by millions of small and mid-sized businesses around the world. It undoubtedly makes the task of managing a business incredibly simple. Though, like any other software in the world, QuickBooks too receives errors and glitches at times.
The infamous QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 start when a user tries to restore the backup of the company file. The error appears out of the blue without any prior indications and interrupts QuickBooks company file operations. There are certain factors and technical glitches responsible for QuickBooks Desktop error 6123 that can be resolved effortlessly by implementing the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article. Identifying the error-causing reasons can save you a considerable amount of time, so we have also listed the most common reasons that provoke QuickBooks error messages -6190 -816. Read out the entire tutorial for complete troubleshooting instructions.
QuickBooks error 6190 must be taken seriously as it is related to the company data and can cause permanent data loss. Also, read QuickBooks Error 40001 and QuickBooks error 40003 and learn easy steps to resolve them.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6190 and 816?
Once the error code 6190 is triggered in the QuickBooks Desktop application, QuickBooks displays an error message “Error: -6190, -816 We’re Sorry, QuickBooks can’t open the company file.” Users are also instructed to follow the standard troubleshooting procedure to resolve company file errors including running QuickBooks File Doctor and Updating QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Unfortunately, basic troubleshooting alone isn’t always enough to get rid of error codes like 6190 816and you will require to implement additional troubleshooting to get the issue fixed.
IMPORTANT: Before troubleshooting the error, make sure to Update QuickBooks and take a backup of your company file manually to a safe storage location to avoid data loss due to any mishap while troubleshooting
What Causes QuickBooks Company File Error code 6190 and 816?
Following are the reasons responsible for provoking QuickBooks Desktop error code 6190 and 816 .
- Utilizing an outdated QuickBooks Desktop application is one of the prominent reasons QuickBooks displays error messages 6190 and 816.
- The damaged QuickBooks company file not only triggers error 6190 in QuickBooks but also accounts for several other 6000 series errors.
- If you are trying to restore the backup from an online storage service like Dropbox then also you might face error 6190 in QuickBooks.
- If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not running on Windows.
NOTE: QuickBooks company file can only be accessed from the QuickBooks Desktop application and if you try to open it using the Windows explorer by directly double-clicking the file, then QuickBooks will throw an error code 6190. Make sure you are accessing the file from within the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Top Five Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Problem Connecting to Server Error:- 6190 816
Step 1: Run QuickBooks Desktop Update
QuickBooks Desktop if left outdated not only attracts errors but is also responsible for degraded performance. Keeping your QuickBooks updated ensures that it is free from bugs and other issues that can negatively affect the end-user experience. For complete information on updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version, follow our article How to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Released Version. If installing the updates did not help you resolve QuickBooks company file error 61, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Step 2: Install and Run QuickBooks Tools Hub
As you might already be familiar with QuickBooks Tool Hub that it is a collection of different tools that can be used to rectify almost every error that QuickBooks encounters. Quick Fix My Program is a tool that is specifically developed to refresh QuickBooks installation and re-register the installation files that helps eliminate general company file and program errors like error 6190. Follow the instructions given below to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix My Program Tool:
- Download QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop application by selecting exit from the file menu.
- Open the downloaded setup file QuickBooksToolsHub.exe from the download location.
- Follow the prompts on the installation wizard screen to complete the installation.
- Double-click the QuickBooks Tools Hub icon on your Desktop.
- Select the Program Problems tab from the left pane and then click Quick Fix my Program.
- Once the program repairs the application, close the tool and run QuickBooks again.
- Try to take the backup of your company file and check if the issue is resolved.
If QuickBooks Desktop error code 6190 continues to bother you, then this indicates damage in the company file that can be resolve by running QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor. Follow the next step for detailed instructions.
Read also: QuickBooks 2022 keeps crashing
Step 3: Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor to Repair File Damage
If you are able to access the company now, then the error is resolved. In case, if you are getting the same error while restoring the company file from an external storage device, then follow the next troubleshooting step for a quick fix.
Step 4: Restore the Backup from Local Storage
- Navigate to the QuickBooks backup file folder which is usually located inside the QuickBooks company file folder.
- Look for the file with the .qbb extension having the same name as your company file.
- Copy the backup file to the local storage of your computer.
- Now open QuickBooks and restore the company file that you have moved to the local storage.
- In case QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 still persists, then this must be happening because of restoring the company file on a new computer. Follow the next troubleshooting step to get error fixed while restoring the company file on a new PC.
Step 5: Restore the Backup using the Portable Company File
Sometimes, due to security reasons, QuickBooks only allows you to restore the company file on the same device where the backup file was create. If you are trying to restore the backup file .qbb on a new device other than the one where it was create, then you can get QuickBooks error 6190. The solution to getting around this issue is to create a portable company file .qbm instead of the regular backup file .qbb. Follow the instructions given below to quickly rectify the issue:
- Open QuickBooks on the old device where you created the backup and click the File tab.
- Now select Create Copy and choose to Create Portable Company File.
- Click Next and enter a name for the company file.
- Select the location where you want to save the company file and click Save and OK.
- Now move the portable company file to the new computer where you want to restore the backup.
- Open QuickBooks > Click the File tab > Select Restore a Portable File > Hit Next.
- Now browse the portable company file with the .qbm extension and click Open.
- Carefully read the instructions given on the Where do you want to restore the file page?
- Finally, click Next and click Save before opening the company file.
If you are still facing issues/difficulties resolving QuickBooks error 6190 816, then contact our support team by giving us a call at +1-888-704-1357. Our support team will immediately look into the matter and will resolve it for you completely in the shortest time.
A related post you may see: QuickBooks Error 350