Electricity has become so common in our day-to-day life and at worksites that sometimes we tend to forget that it possesses life-threatening danger for us. While considering the dangers of electricity, most people only count on getting electrocuted or shocked. But on the other hand, at worksites, the electricity can potentially cause the rise of various dangerous situations. Some of the common accidents occurring at worksites due to unsafe work practices are the overload or short circuits resulting in injuries and fires. But by practicing safe work ethics, taking some preventive measures, and noticing the early signs of electrical hazards, we can significantly reduce or eliminate the electrical risks quickly. In this article, we will briefly discuss the top 5 most significant electrical hazards in our home according to the electricians in Bristol.
What are some of the top 5 electrical hazards in our home?
The presence of overloaded outlets in our home – one of the most common electrical mistakes that we all make is simply plugging everything into one single spot. Each outlet has its maximum number of amperes which it can handle easily. But when you stack multiple plugs into that one outlet, you increase the number of amperes getting used. This result raises the chances of fire and short circuits.
Therefore, always try to plug one electrical per socket in each of the given outlets and unplug anything that isn’t in your use.
The light bulbs with their wrong wattage – according to the electricians in Bristol, every time you try to replace your bulb, always make sure that the total wattage is either less than or equal to the maximum wattage of your required lamp. Another thing which you should always take into consideration is that whenever you add any new light in your basement or home, make sure that they work decently with your existing electrical system.
The presence of old wiring at your home – the professionally installed wiring will always last for a much more extended period. But these wirings must properly operate with all your required appliances. One of the leading causes of home fires is faulty or incompatible wirings.
If you are someone whose wiring is ancient, inspecting your wiring every year is highly recommended.
The presence of unprotected outlets in your home – if you have kids, then it is significant for you to get your electrical outlets covered. With an uncovered outlet with kids around, there is a lot of chance for tiny fingers and objects being inserted inside the naked outlet resulting in electrocution, shocks, and even burns.
You can get your outlets covered with plastics or get a child-safe wall plate that typically covers and gets snapped automatically into its original place when it is not in use.
For even safer options, you can contact the electricians in Bristol and can get all your accessible outlets changed into tamper-resistant outlets. The tamper-resistant outlet will protect your kids when an appliance is still plugged in its sockets.
Use your extension cords carefully – with extension cords, and our life has become significantly more accessible. Still, these extension cords can also cause fire breakouts at your home if not used wisely. According to the International Electrical Safety Foundation, around 3,300 home fires usually start from the extension cords every year.
Like your other cords present at your home, using a loose, frayed, or faulty extension cord can prove quite dangerous. Even if these extension cords are used for a much more extended time, then there are chances of fire breakouts.
Generally, each extension cord is designed to handle different loads of power; therefore, matching the right extension cord with the right appliance is also very important.
While handling the various electrical components all at once at your home, your topmost priority should be your and the safety of your loved ones. One should always keep in mind that along with the numerous benefits of electricity, there are specific few electrical hazards too, which can prove dangerous to both property and life. Therefore, if you ever encounter any warning signs at your home, then immediately contact the electricians in Bristol and try to keep the above tips in mind to reduce the electrical hazards as much as you can.