Antimicrobial coatings comprise active agents that prevent microbial growth on surfaces. These coatings are applied on frequently touched areas such as counters, door handles, and walls. They contain various additives that provide protection against bacteria, mold, and fungi. According to Fortune Business Insights™, theantimicrobial coatings market size was valued at USD 3,690.0 million in 2019 and is anticipated to reach USD 8,650.7 million by 2027 at a CAGR of 11.5% during the forecast period. These coatings are used in various applications according to the surfaces and their properties.
Materials Used in Antimicrobial Coatings:
- Graphene materials: These materials prevent the growth of microbes due to their disrupted bacterial membrane, entrapment of microorganisms, and oxidative stress.
- Silver nanoparticles: These particles are affected within a 1-10 nm range and are dependent on the size.
- Graphene-like/two-dimensional materials: These materials are raw and chemically exfoliated MoS2 sheets due to their antibacterial activities.
- Polymer brushes: Three different types of polymer brushes are used to provide a coating. These brushes are non-fouling polymer brushes, functionalized polymer brushes, and brushes with bactericidal polymers.
- Polycationic hydrogel: This material is capable of causing the death of microbes.
- Copper and its alloys: These elements inhibit growth and destroy the disease-causing microorganisms.
- Dendrimers: Dendrimers are used for their ability to traverse the cellular membranes of microbes.
Applications of Antimicrobial Coatings:
Antimicrobial coatings are majorly used in the healthcare and medical sectors. Apart from this, these coatings are used in industrial, commercial, outdoors, building products, and houseware. Applying such coating to the surfaces that are frequently touched helps to avoid the spread of diseases and viruses. Also, it allows for controlling germs and infectious diseases that can transmit from one individual to others through switches, walls, doorknobs, handles, and others. Antimicrobial coatings are used to clean and disinfect surgical devices, medical electronics, instruments, trays, and others used by healthcare providers.
In the building and houseware sector, these coatings are used to protect the infrastructure from disease-causing microbes. Also, it allows for maintaining indoor air quality in various systems such as air-conditioners, heaters, ventilation, ceilings, and fans. The food & beverage sector uses these coatings to prevent bacterial growth on utensils and containers used in large-scale production and dairy. These coatings also ensure durability, stain resistance, and freshness to the clothing pieces by functioning in the textile industry.
Benefits of Applying Antimicrobial Coating:
These coatings are not only beneficial for the healthcare and industrial sectors but are also highly adopted in the domestic sector. Several benefits of these coatings are:
- Protection against microbes: Prevention against numerous microbes, such as mold, bacteria, algae, and fungi, is a major benefit of applying these coatings on the surfaces.
- Need for fewer disinfectants: Once these coatings are applied, there is no need to use excessive cleansers and disinfectants to clean the surfaces.
- Cleanliness and hygiene: These coatings maintain hygiene by killing microorganisms and preventing the spread of harmful diseases.
- Cost-effective: Applying these coatings is a cost-effective alternative to prevent surfaces getting contaminated from harmful viruses. Also, these coatings are durable and efficient, which bolster their use in various industries.
- Enhanced lifespan: Surfaces are prevented from erosion due to changing weather and offered enhanced lifespan due to the coating applied on the surfaces.
Top Companies Listed by Fortune Business Insights™:
- Akzo Nobel N.V.
- Axalta Coating Systems
- PPG Industrial Coatings
- John Desmond Limited
- BASF SE
- Nippon Paint (India) Company Limited
- The Sherwin-Williams Company
- Diamond Vogel
Leading Companies to Enhance their Business Performance
The leading companies operating in the industry are expected to witness rapid growth in the coming years due to increasing demand for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning for indoor air quality. Also, the increasing awareness regarding Healthcare-related Infections (HCAI) is expected to propel growth and generate lucrative opportunities for the leading companies. Furthermore, increasing demand for these coatings from the medical device industry is one of the major growth factors in boosting antimicrobial coatings sales. However, the emission of active ingredients used in these coatings can hamper growth by creating various challenges for the leading players.
About the author:
Amruta is an Engineer but is equally passionate about creative writing and clutches every opportunity to deliver precise articles. Apart from writing, Amruta enjoys watching standup comedy and exploring various places.