Shopping for wine glasses can be quite an intimidating endeavour. This is especially true for those who are not very familiar with wine and wine glasses. There are all-purpose glasses and also specific silhouettes for every kind of wine. You can opt for a burgundy wine glass.
The glasses that are designed for drinking wine also have certain specific properties. These glasses have been designed in a way to intensify the sensory experience. There has been a lot of debate about whether the cost and quality of a wine glass have anything to do with the taste of the wine. Wine glasses, however, do not need to be expensive.
It would help if you considered the following criteria when choosing wine glasses.
Buy wine glasses of the correct size
The universal wine glasses should hold as much as 13 ounces of wine. Make sure that you do not buy a giant wine glass. This is because you tend to lose the aroma when you pour wine into big glasses. Again, if the wine glass is too narrow, you will not capture the bouquet. The 13-ounce wine glass has enough room for a 4-6 ounce pour.
Pear-shaped wine glasses
The perfect wine glasses must be broader at the base compared to the rim. If the glass is bowl-shaped, it brings out all the aroma. These get diffused. They are then brought together as the glass narrows.
Select wine glasses with stems
Though stemless wine glasses have become very popular, try avoiding them. If these glasses do not have stems you have to hold the bowl. This leaves fingerprints on the glasses. This will prevent you from seeing the wine. This also warms the wine and no longer has the serving temperature.
Buy a simple wine glass
The etched and coloured glasses indeed look nice. But these shift your focus from the appearance of the wine. A clear white wine glasses will be good.
Buy crystal clear glasses
If you are buying just one set of wine glasses, you should purchase crystal clear wine glasses. The glasses need to have at least 24% lead content to remain crystal. This helps it to be thinner and also more precise. Tap it with a metal spoon to understand if the glass is crystal. If the ping is long and high-pitched, it is crystal. On the other hand, if it is a short-lived clunk, it indicates glass.
Try avoiding the speed bumps
A good wine glass will have thin lips. On the other hand, the less expensive ones have thicker rims. They might also have bumps around the edge that tends to impede flow.
Read Further To Read a Few Tips While Buying
- Choose glasses that are thin, clear, and unadorned. If the mirrors are decorative, cut glass, or frosted stemware, they will obscure the colour as well as clarity of the wine. The thin, lead crystal also has the transparency and lustre that displays wine in the best way.
- Select a glass that has a tulip-shaped bowl. It will be good to serve the red wines in tulip-shaped glasses. Tulip bowls tend to taper slightly inwards towards the rim. This will help channel the wine into your nose’s nerve receptors when you sniff the wine.
- Wine glasses also have a rolled rim. These cause the wine to dribble into your mouth. So make sure you choose a wine glass with a thin edge. This will allow the wine to glide smoothly into your mouth.
- The wine glass should also have a tall and sturdy stem. The purpose of the branch is to ensure that your hands do not touch the glass bowl. This will help you to keep the wine at the temperature at which it is served.
- The base of the wine glass should be broad enough. This will prevent the glass from tipping easily. The foot should also be firmly attached to prevent it from snapping if it is swirled.
- Selecting a large burgundy wine glass will be a good option. This will help it to hold a whole serving of wine. It would help if you were cautious not to buy a drink that is too large and awkward to hold.
Indeed, specific wine glasses serve better than other wine glasses. There are some scientific reasons behind this. You have the option of drinking wine from whichever glasses you want. But it is also true that if you drink wine in the right glass, it certainly enhances the taste of the wine. The best thing is that these glasses will also not cost a lot. Make sure that you get them from one of the best stores. You can also get white wine glass, if you prefer.