India has a long and unique postal history and delivered countless postage stamp of India. These have been created by an assortment of systems including line etching, typography, lithography, photogravure and web-counterbalance.Postal stamps in India have been created both for postage and for administration or income. Postal Stamps have been delivered both as imperforated sheets, punctured, and smaller than usual sheets.
history Postal of stamps of India began with the introduction of paper postage in Sindh, India (now in Pakistan) in 1852. Sir Bartel Frere, the commissioner of the Sindh, introduced the Postal stamps, and then known as ‘ScindeDawk’ in 1852 but the Indian Postal stamps were withdrawn in October 1854.
The old stamps of India have a very big collection of rare Indian postage stamps such as: The Queen Victoria Collection from Gwalior Convention State during British India.
Indian Philatelic history began with the introduction of postal stamps of India in 1852. Before that, copper tokens were used to pay for letters and postage. Since then, multiple stamps have been produced in the country with unique designs.
If you are interested in exploring history, geography, and politics, you would love stamp collecting. Philately can be a hobby or an opportunity to meet like-minded people. It is an activity that does not involve technology, so you get some off-screen time.
Sources From Where You Can Get Stamps
- You can take a look at the letters that you receive every day. Most of them will have stamps.
- You can ask your friends or family to save stamps for you.
- You can ask your relatives living in different countries to send stamps for you.
- You can exchange stamps in various stamp collection clubs
- Directly buy old stamps of India from post offices or philatelic counters or bureaus.
What type of stamps can you collect?
You can start by collecting stamps from one or two provinces or states by choosing your favorite subjects. If you are a beginner, you can start with sports, transportation, history, etc. It is also known as topical collecting or thematic collecting.
How do you collect stamps?
Before collecting stamps, you need to have certain accessories like a stamp book, tweezers, magnifying glass, and hinges.
- You can buy a stamp album or use old diaries to preserve and arrange your stamps. Remember to use good-quality books and keep your stamps away from warmth, direct sunlight, and moisture.
- You can use a pair of tweezers while handling your stamps. It will prevent fingerprints, dirt, sweat, or grease sticking onto the stamps. The value of a stamp directly depends on the storing condition.
- You can use a magnifying glass to examine postal stamps of India for faults. Professional stamp collectors can identify a fake stamp using a magnifying glass. It also helps you examine minute printing details of each stamp which are necessary while arranging it.
What are some other essential tools?
Some other essential tools that you need for continuing this hobby are glassine envelopes, watermark detectors, stamp mounts, perforation gauges, and a catalog.
Stamp collection or philately is a popular hobby. It allows you to relax away from the computer and mobile screens. You can always get various old stamps of India to increase your overall stamp collection.