INFLUENZA is also known as flu or common cold which affects nose, throat and chest/lungs. It makes child feverish along with running nose, wheezing/coughing, and/or ear infection. This natural infection makes child low in energy for sometime but thereafter builds natural immunity in form of antibodies to fight further with influenza virus whenever it reenters in kids’ body. The immunity developed by natural infection gets wane off within few months or weeks, making children again susceptible to catch infection. So comes the role of influenza vaccine. The vaccine generates the immunological response in children body without making them fall ill. The antibodies generated by vaccine does play the same role as done by natural infection antibodies.
Child Vaccination Clinic near me Gurgaon | Flu Vaccine for Children
Why to vaccinate kids with flu vaccine?
- It gives immunity against influenza virus, so child doesn’t get flu or if gets flu, that will be in milder form.
- Less need of hospitalization
- Less prolonged illness
- Less complications
- Early recovery
- Less transmission of infection to others
- If kid is already suffering from chronic condition like of lung, kidney, liver or any other organ, vaccine prevents developing complications in them.
- It takes two to three months for developing antibodies post vaccination
When to get vaccine shot in kids?
- In terms of age, it can be given to kids older than 6 months
- First dose at 6months of age, Second dose at 7months of age, thereafter yearly shots are to be given
- Yearly shots are to be given before the onset of flu season
- If child age is older than 9 years, only yearly shots are advised.
- It can be given during pregnancy also, so as to prevent both mother and newborn from influenza virus.
How it is given?
- This vaccine comes in injectable form, which is injected in arm or thigh muscle.
- The vaccine prepared should be according to strain of virus prevalent in community.
- The influenza virus has property of changing its strain with every year or season, so it should be according to currently prevalent strain.
- Some formulations are in spray form also, though not commonly used and neither recommended, they are sometimes offered in elderly people.
Are flu vaccines safe?
- As per National Immunisation schedule/Programme, these are considered to be one of the safest vaccines
- Few side effects seen in kids are alike other vaccines like pain at injection site, redness or soreness
Can a kid get flu after getting flu vaccine shot?
Flu vaccines are made in two ways: a) by using killed virus or b) by using a part of virus protein , whichever thing gets injected in body raises an immune response to form antibodies without infecting the kid in form of flu. However sometimes kids feel low in energy post vaccination, which is mistaken with flu.