Drivers under the age of 25 can expect to pay almost five times more for their annual policy than a driver 10 years older. Within these policies, Qualitas Auto offers the best youth insurance on the market.
Best car insurance for young people by modality
- Full travel assistance
- Free choice of workshop
- Compensation for temporary disability
Pricing date: 10/28/2021. Results of the best cheapest car insurance of each modality according to its price (third parties, extended third parties and all risk). Prices for a Volkswagen Golf Plus with 110 CV and registered in the year 2017.
Young people under the age of 25 often have trouble finding an insurance company, because companies don’t offer many options to inexperienced drivers . In addition, the prices of the few alternatives that can be found are almost five times higher than those of insurance for more experienced profiles . According to data from Kelisto, the average price of car insurance for beginners (that is, those who have a driver’s license for less than two years) costs, on average, 827 euros more than what a driver would have to pay. 35-year-old driver with more than 10 years of experience (1,061 euros per year compared to 234 euros).
If you just got your driver’s license and, in addition, you are under 25 years old, at Kelisto we show you what the best car insurance offers are for beginners and we explain how to contract the best option, either because you want a new policy or
Advance compensation or replacement vehicle
Source: Kelisto.es as of 10/28/2021. Profile: 20-year-old student resident in Madrid, with a driving license since he was 18 years old. You have not been previously insured and have a clean accident report. He drives a 2017 Volkswagen Golf Plus that belongs to his father or guardian, sleeps in a garage and averages 12,000 kilometers a year.
Third-party policies are the cheapest car insurance on the market, although the difference in price between an inexperienced driver and an older one is quite considerable. Specifically, according to data from Kelisto, a young third-party insurance for someone 20 years old costs up to three times more than for a driver up to 35 years old (122 euros per year compared to 313 euros).
The cheapest car insurance for beginners of this type is offered by Qualitas Auto , with a premium of 306 euros per year. One of its most outstanding coverages is the possibility of collecting compensation for temporary disability , something that is not usual in car insurance. With this insurance you will also have complete roadside assistance , which will cover you in the event of a tire puncture or lack of fuel. In addition, like Balumba’s insurance (321 euros per year, second in the ranking), Qualitas offers you the possibility of splitting the insurance payment quarterly , so you won’t have to pay that amount all at once. Of course, remember that, by splitting the payment, it is possible that your premium will be increased.
Cheaper car insurance for newcomers to extended third parties
Includes full travel assistance, non-arranged health care, legal defense, free choice of workshop, vehicle theft, luggage damage due to fire, installment of quarterly payment and compensation for temporary disability
In the case of extended third parties , the average annual premium for a driver under 25 years of age is 446 euros, compared to the 138 euros that the premium represents for a driver up to 35 years of age.
In this modality, the best car insurance for beginners by price is once again the Qualitas Auto policy , with a cost of 321 euros per year. Therefore, for 15 euros more than the premium to third parties, you will have insurance that covers damage to the windows , damage due to theft and damage due to fire . Of course, this cheap insurance for new drivers does not include the theft of keys or the replacement car .
Balumba ‘s youth insurance ( 337 euros per year) and MAPFRE ‘s (680 euros) close this top 3 . All the insurances analyzed allow the installment of the quarterly payment.
What is the best comprehensive youth insurance?
And a car insurance with excess?
Although we have shown you cheaper comprehensive insurance for young people, the prices offered by insurers may be beyond your budget. In that case, you can opt for excess insurance with which you will pay a much cheaper annual premium in exchange for committing to bear an agreed amount of expenses in the event that your vehicle is damaged. For a driver under 25 years of age, the cheapest car insurance for young people is the one offered by Qualitas Auto , with a price of 583 euros per year and a excess of 600 euros .
Insurance for beginners: how to hire the best offer?
Drivers under the age of 25, as a general rule, have a hard time finding car insurance. However, the fact that there are few offers does not mean that you should take out the first policy you find. In this case, analyzing each product well, comparing and knowing the keys to correctly choosing insurance for beginners is essential for the operation to be a success. To help you, at Kelisto we bring you some tips that you can follow to find your youth insurance at a good price:
- Include the young person as an occasional driver : this is one of the most common ways for car insurance for a new driver not to be a ruin for your pocket. However, this is only advisable in the case in which, effectively, the young person is going to be an occasional driver, and not the regular driver of the car. Lying to an insurer is never a good idea because if it discovers that you are the main driver of the vehicle and you have signed up for the insurance as an occasional driver, or you have not directly declared yourself as a driver, not only can it refuse to provide you service, but who can also terminate the contract.
- With excess, better than all risk: for a young person with a recently obtained license, taking out all risk insurance is usually a good idea, especially if you have a brand new car. In this way, he will be protected in the event of an at-fault accident. However, comprehensive policies are also the most expensive, reaching over 2,000 euros per year (equivalent to a monthly payment of 166 euros). In this case, and provided that the cheaper options of a third-party insurance or an extended third-party policy have been ruled out, an all-risk insurance with excess is recommended . The price of these policies can mean savings of more than half the price.
- Maintain a clean accident history: this is something that works for drivers of any age , but it is much more important in the case of car insurance for beginners. Not having traffic tickets and parts given to the company can help you get discounts for good driving. One of the companies that usually applies this type of bonus is Verti , through the Verti Driver app . In it, the driver can record his activity on the road and meet challenges that later translate into discounts and prizes.
- Take into account the characteristics of the vehicle: we must not forget that, in addition to the age and experience of the driver, another determining factor in the price of car insurance is the condition of the vehicle to be insured . If this is a very old model or has many modifications, insurers may increase the annual premium, since they understand that this car will have more risk than another on the road.